Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Kidney Failure Isn't Stopping Me - a true story

Taken from : http://www.experienceproject.com/uw.php?e=6125
A true story about a woman who was living with Chronic Kidney Failure. She eventually got a kidney transplant in 2007.

H i, I’m 'JustJayne'. I probably don’t look sick to you, and to be honest, I don’t consider myself to be a “sick person.” Even though I might look perfectly normal, I’ve been living with Chronic Kidney Disease since the age of 15 when I was first diagnosed with Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis (FSGS). Being diagnosed with a life-changing (and life-long) chronic condition really made me grow up quickly and realize how important life is. I try to live every day as if it were my last so I can experience as much as possible. My personal motto is "you make your own happiness" and I try to do that every single day.

Most people don't realize what kidneys do... they don't just make urine (remove toxins) but they also control your blood pressure, make an enzyme that tells your body to make red blood cells (without this you get really, really anemic) remove excess fluid, and monitor electrolytes (potassium, which makes your heart beat; calcium, which is important to bone health and heart health; sodium and phosphorous) throughout your body. Without functioning kidneys ..... read more

No comments: